Isn’t it sad how easily we lose sight of our dreams?
We all have unrealized dreams. It could be finishing your degree, a trip you want to take, an art form you want to try, or a friendship you want to rekindle. Maybe you always wanted to try singing karaoke in a bar full of drunks, to learn how to play the guitar, or you'd love to see the Sistine Chapel. Perhaps you think you’d make a good sculptor, or you’d like to try fly-fishing, or you always wanted to learn to speak Russian.
Maybe deep down you know that you are really a teacher, a police officer, a writer, a forest ranger, or a stand-up comedian. It could be as simple as wanting to bake a perfect soufflé, or as complicated as improving your relationship with your estranged mother.
There are things we always plan on doing, but somehow never get around to. And there are dreams from childhood that we allow to become covered with dust -- one mote at a time.
Maybe we didn’t know how to start, or we started down the path and were deterred. Maybe we tried once or twice and failed. Or maybe we only dreamt about it, but we always intended to do it.
“I’ll do it later." “I’ll do it tomorrow." “I’ll do it next week." “I’ll do it next month." And the years pass us by.
How quickly we allow random happenings in our lives to box us in and define our limitations. We all have to share our lives with others, of course, and we should. Without others our life has little meaning. But so often we give up control of large chunks of our lives to other people based only on external circumstances.
We become mired in roles, in jobs, in relationships, in self-concepts. “I just don’t have the time to do it now." “It’s too late for me." “I’m too old to do that." “I’m too shy." “My dad wouldn't like it." “I have responsibilities now." “I can’t afford it." “I'll look like an idiot." “I’m too out of shape." “My friends will think I'm weird."
“What if I fail?”
If your life were ending tonight, what would your regrets be?
I’m not talking about things that you wish you could change from your past. What is done is done. And besides, there isn’t a single life story in the entire history of humanity that doesn’t include failure, pain, sorrow, mistakes, or weakness. Not one. Accepting your past (and who you are) is often the first step to living in the present.
I’m talking about the things that you haven’t done yet. Those things you always wanted to try. That person you always wanted to get to know better. That place you always wanted to go. That thing you always meant to change.
That person you always wanted to be.
One truth we can all count on is that our lives will eventually end. But here is another truth: If you are reading this, you are still here. Your life still belongs to you. And the only person truly in control of it is you. You have the power to do whatever you want with it.
Your life belongs to you, and only you can live it.
Sure, others will influence you, put pressures on you, or have demands for your time. But it is you who should control how much they steer your course in life. Only you should decide how much of yourself to give away, and how much of yourself to keep. No matter how much you want to be there for others, if you don't take care of your own needs from time to time you will eventually have nothing left to give.
There is only one you, and there will never be another. So don't forget that you deserve to have your own dreams fulfilled, too.
...in the end, it is only us who limited ourselves. once we realise this, we are free to catch the dreams we wish to.
ReplyDeleteWow! I soaked this post in like a sponge. I see myself at this point in my life now of wanting to be the person I have never felt free to be. Thanks so much for sharing this, I needed it.
ReplyDeleteWonderful!
ReplyDeleteso inspiring. I do love poetry like you do. I actually write love poems. http://chyndipoems.blogspot.com. In case you want to check. Anyway, i like your blog. so inspiring!
ReplyDeleteIt's too early in the morning and I made too many typos in my previous post so deleted it! I wanted to comment on how inspiring your words in this post are. Lately I've been thinking the same things, and realize that it's not too late to pick up where I left off with various dreams and plans. Thus the writing. I'll definitely follow your blog, as I look forward to seeing your upcoming blog entries!
ReplyDelete:D i love it.. T_T i wish i can have such talent
ReplyDeleteHow crazy! Great minds think alike!! Beautiful by the way Bard!
ReplyDelete