Kithara

In my nightmare, I held your broken neck in my hand. I squeezed it tightly and cried, knowing that when I finally opened my fingers it would fall apart forever. But when I awoke you were still there waiting.

You’re always waiting.

Waiting for my palms to trace your curves, and for my fingers to stroke your tendons. Waiting for me to warm your body against my chest. Waiting for me to pour my passion into you, and to make you sing a song that only I may hear.

Waiting for me to give myself to you, completely.

I thought about when we met. At first you didn’t stand out from the others, but when I placed my hands upon you I felt a deep vibration in my soul. And even under the noise of the room, your voice was magical.

The next morning I found myself doubting what I had felt, so I went back to find you again. You were still there, and it was the same as it had been the day before. Later that week I took you home with me.

I wish I knew what happened. I still remember the excitement of my discovery. I still remember the renewed hope of fulfilling my childhood dreams. I still remember my resolution to unlock the music in my heart, and to create something new with the remainder of my life.

I still remember the promises that I made to you. I swallow them each night before I go to bed.

It isn’t fair to keep you waiting. There are others who would treat you better. There are others who would appreciate you more than I do. There are others who would give you the attention that you deserve.

Yes there are others, but you still belong to me.

And I’m not ready to give you up just yet.

16 comments:

  1. Yep... another one from the "basement".

    ReplyDelete
  2. although, seemingly tender, I dispise the claim of ownership over another. I am not yours and you are not mine. We are our own, it's just nice to share ourselves with another.

    I like the basement though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the possession. 'I felt a deep vibration in my soul,' -- lovely line. Did I ever feel that kind of vibration, I wonder. This piece seems so honest and gentle. Sometimes there are so many things o write but I just don't seem to get past the above lines.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, Kay.

    For a different perspective on this entry, you may want to look up the modern Greek translation of the word "Kithara".
    :) ------------------------------------------------------------------>

    ReplyDelete
  5. An electric piece charged with erotic undertones. I like that the eroticism is not flagrant, but is a part of the desire to possess, body and soul. Awesome!

    Nevine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw where you were coming from already at the first line. And I liked what I saw. You speak of your instrument with words of a man who caanot live without music: the bond between the two...souls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember this one... and I still like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow..so much voltage in this piece. I am very moved by it. I came across your blog for the first time today and immediately noticed the Tagore quote (he is one of my favorite poets). I am excited to follow you!! Good luck with everything :) (I tried learning the guitar and utterly failed.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There may always be others, but there is only one you :). Maybe that is enough for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I had more time to play. It's been ages.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So in love with this Kithara prose piece.
    Sensual, obsessive and longing all the
    ingridients for an unforgettable piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kay: I prescribe a dose of "Not My Slave" by Oingo Boingo with careful attention to the lyrics.

    I for one believe something can paradoxically belong to you without possesiveness involved. One's hometown is a good example of this. Nobody can take from us whatever is deposited in our memories.

    Anyhow, good show Bard, makes my own heart bleed a little along the cracks where I've glued it back together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. An exceptional piece. I haven't been here in a while, but it's all of a sudden I realised why I've been reading your work for so long

    Great, great words

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exceptional. Turned on and ready for more.

    ReplyDelete