How strong it feels
As I hold it now
Even in illness
Even in death
Shaped and formed
By a lifetime of labor
Seventy-eight years
Of toil and wear
How many times
That hand must have held me
When I was a baby
Helpless and small
How many times
That hand picked me up
Slapping my shoulders
Patting my head
I held that hand
On the way to the drugstore
Counting the cracks
One at a time
Pitching me softballs
And building my bike
Handing me pocket change
Guiding my life
The warmth fades now
But the strength remains
Even in illness
Even in death
Yep, another recycled one...
ReplyDeleteA lovely tribute to your dad.
ReplyDeleteJoy always,
Susan
Very beautiful. Your words touched my heart. You know, I lost my mom last year and my dad isn't doing very well as I write this. Not physically, but mom's death crashed his world. He is tired with no joy of living, and I can understand that. But it frustrates and saddens me to no end that I can't help him in any way. Only to hold his hand, because he is my dad.
ReplyDeleteThis is so good.
ReplyDeleteExcellent..
ReplyDeletePure and emotional.
ReplyDeleteHolding on to strenght and cherish
but allow weakness sometimes.
beautiful written again.
A heart warming tribute to your Dad... beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI do think I remember reading this back "in the days of old" :)
ReplyDeleteVery beautifully written and a heartfelt tribute to your Dad.
Oh! Very nice photos of you over there >>>>
on the side column!
Hope you are well, my friend, nice to see you again, :)
~Sunny
A poignant love poem to your Father. Thank
ReplyDeleteyou for sharing this, Bard.
(i'm flighty - have a new blog address - theotherseason.blogspot.com )
ReplyDeleteVery touching piece. Always love your poems
ReplyDeletea gentle gathering of your feelings for
ReplyDeleteyour father - honored to have read your poem.
Most excellent this . . . no question about its authenticity. Full of gravity and yet possessing a tender levity. Gives one pause to reflect on all the most important things in life, which is the true task of a well-written poem. My highest acclaim!
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this. It's easy to relate. =)
ReplyDelete