Futility

My words
cannot give justice
to my thoughts

My thoughts
cannot give justice
to my feelings

My feelings
cannot give justice
to my existence

And so I put down my pen
and write nothing at all

3 comments:

  1. About a week after I originally wrote this piece, I ran across this quote (attributed to Confucius and freely interpreted here) that seemed to speak directly to the sentiments that I was feeling – only from the opposite perspective:

    “Listen not with the ears, but with the mind. Listen not with the mind, but with the spirit. The ears are limited to hearing sounds, and the mind is limited to forming images and concepts. As for the spirit, it is not limited to any one faculty. It is a void that embraces everything.”

    -- Chuang Tzu, 4

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know it's a messy business translating mind to page, and that so much can get trapped between the two, but the key is to be more patient with yourself. that's not to seem so dogmatic about it, or underestimate, as i know how frustrating and heartbreaking it is, but one thing i have learned is that the best writing is almost unconscious. it's a natural progression of the self. i know it may not sway or persuade you but i always find your writing a delight to read, regardless of the silhouette it is wrapped up in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sentiment, thought and feeling. Bears much pondering. Maggs

    ReplyDelete