Classroom Girl

She has a pretty face

But she never smiles


I’ve never seen her smile


She has an exotic look

Her skin is creamy white

And she has beautiful almond eyes

And full, sensual lips


She sits at the far end of the row

Tucked up against the wall

Hair pulled up tight on her head

Streaks of blonde in brown


I saw her earlier in the day

Walking in the Commons

Her hair was down, and it was beautiful

I wish she would wear it that way more often


She always looks tired

Her eyes seem baggy and worn

Does she just have a busy schedule

Or is it a secret life?


She sits there at her table

Only speaking when she must

Staring at her computer screen

Typing and writing, doing her work


But she never


Ever


Smiles

11 comments:

  1. A post after a long long time. Glad to see one. When someone never smiles it does make the observer curious and the subject mysterious. I hate to say this but women are always associated with the 'mysterious.' This stifles me at times.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see you back, Bard! And I think some of the most secretive people in the world are also some of the most magical. Sometimes, when we find out who they truly are, the spell is broken, and we are dejected. A beautifully written piece, Bard. Very quiet and serene.

    Nevine

    ReplyDelete
  3. great work of art- also because she never smiles, makes it all the more intriguing!
    Where did you come across Rabindranath Tagore- also a poet & musician like you?!?
    And my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan Deborah and Nevine, I actually befriended her about a year after I wrote this piece. She was very nice, and she seemed to enjoy my company as much as I enjoyed hers. She ended up moving across the country with her boyfriend shortly after that, but if circumstances had been different who knows how our relationship would have developed?

    Smita, I don't remember where or when I first ran across Tagore but he is very much a favorite of mine now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw.

    well i hope u made her smile.. at least once =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes this happens. It's strange. We meet someone with whom we click but then there are so many reasonings within us that create violence in our thought patterns.

    Who knows what it would have developed into . . .

    But now it has given poetry. And a post after long.

    So long.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. some people do that to us. make us wonder what is going on in their head. why they are or aren't doing something. i like this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first visit, not my last. I gather you've been away. Stay with us! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And you stay with us, Dave, wherever you are...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did she smile after you showed her this poem?

    I would think so. The observations herein are rather frank but also complimentary. Good stuff!

    BTW - thank you much for your words on "Unloving".

    ReplyDelete