Momentary Fantasy

This afternoon I saw somebody that looked like you. She was walking towards me on the sidewalk, and when I saw her I imagined it was really you walking towards me. Maybe it was a chance encounter, or maybe we were meeting to go out to lunch. I wondered what it would be like.

Would I smile as soon as I recognized you, or would I wait until you saw me first? Would you keep walking at the same pace, or would you slow down and wait for me to reach you? What would you be noticing about me as I walked towards you? Would I say "hello" as soon as you could hear me, or would I wait until I was closer to make it more intimate? Would I even say "hello" at all? Maybe my smile would be enough. Or perhaps I would try to say something charming or funny instead?

Would your eyes stay with mine as I approached, or would my obvious appreciation for your beauty make you blush and look away? Would we lean in close as we greeted each other? Would we touch? Hug? If we did hug, what would you smell like? Shampoo? Lotion? Perfume?

How close would you walk next to me as we left?

I’ll never know, because it wasn’t really you.

3 comments:

  1. There have been times in my life when my heart was separated from me by time and distance and I saw that person everywhere. These thoughts I have felt and explored myself. I am intrigued. Makes me wonder who the most fortunate person is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for visiting my blog and following me! i like your blog so far.. you seem like a fellow romantic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. like her hair
    twisting in a crowd
    seeming to be the
    face the voice
    someone else there
    was a sun-shower
    gust of wind
    train ride into the west
    until the waxing hour
    when she left

    he looked up
    saw Venus
    saw that all his days
    had been the same day
    and in one moment
    she opened his heart

    ReplyDelete