As I stand here alone at the end of the summer of my life, I find my thoughts turning to you. I think of you, still in the spring where everything is fresh and green, and I long to be there with you.
I turn my thoughts again, gazing forward to the fall where the colors are glorious as they progress towards the inevitable winter slumber.
Glancing back and forth, I see the progression of my life and a feeling of melancholy comes over me.
But then I remember one of the great truths that I have learned in my years: There is positive and negative in everything, so it is your focus that determines your reality.
The past, where time was plentiful but experience was limited. The future, where time is dwindling but the possibilities are limitless and unwritten.
Suddenly I know where I need to be.
I gaze at the fading light of the late summer sky. I close my eyes, and my nostrils flare as I breathe in the cool evening air. Filling my lungs, I tilt my head to the sky and exhale. There is only now.
There is only now.
i love the feeling of which you speak - the affirmation of the self, clarity, catharsis. but above all, the feeling of acceptance for where you are now, and how you have arrived there. believing that the destination is adequate and the journey justified.
ReplyDeletealthough admittedly, i don't feel like this as much as i'd like or would have hoped.
Believe me V, I don't feel that way as often as I'd like to either. Learning to accept my current existence has been an ongoing process for the last two or three years of my life, and has taken me down many different paths looking for answers. I have made some progress, but it often feels like one step forward and two steps back.
ReplyDeleteIn spite of the fact that this is an unresolved struggle, I am grateful for those moments where - by wisdom or by helplessness - I'm able to come back to the moment and accept things as they are.
And I'm absolutely delighted to see that one of my all-time favorite writers has rented some space here on Blogger.
:)
I guess that's why writing and the imagination is so wonderful - you can capture and recapture this feeling to your heart's content. Also, it is formatless, so it will never run out. :)
ReplyDeleteI think that's all there ever is
ReplyDelete