The Car Ride

She reclines in the back of the car
Trapped by a destiny that she freely embraces
Submitting to that which she cannot avoid
Chained to both her future and her past

She stares at the faces that pass by
Endless wraiths that drift past her view
Protected from them by the veil on her face
And the veil that covers her heart

Sinking further into her seat
She stares at her reflection in the window
Tracing lines that are familiar to her eye
But foreign to her vision

In her mind she beats the window with her fists
She opens the door and throws herself out
Set free by the pain of release
As her arms and legs scrape the gravel road

But she is immune to such images now
Numb to them from the repetition of use
Silently they beg her for a rest from their work
But she forces them into motion again and again

Later, she arrives at her destination
And she slips smoothly into her role
A consummate actress, playing her part
For a completely unsympathetic audience

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting... :) I always enjoy your writings.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for visiting! It's very nice to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it...and so glad to see you again! You were missed! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it's lovely to see both of you as well!

    Boy, this has to be the most upbeat comments section I've ever had in a journal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Bard! nice you found your way here.

    Btw, one journal you often loved to visit is also here, Allaboutme! http://somanypieces.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oddly, I like unsympathetic audiences the best.
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have missed you and am delighted to have found you again. Now you have gifted my moments with a huge smile. Thank you. Maggs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, thanks for stopping by my place. I'm glad you aren't lost anymore (from the whole JS displacement thing) And my fave profile pic is back YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually Andi, I changed my pic the day after I posted in your journal. I've since discovered, however, that when you change your profile picture here it doesn't update previous postings of it (like it did in Journalspace).

    And I was never truly lost... more like wandering. And I still am, to some extent. But I've put down a root or two here, and it is definitely good to see you around!

    ReplyDelete